The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) is committed to obtaining value for money in all its procurement activities and ensuring that the procurement of goods, services and works adheres to the School's Procurement Strategy and Financial Regulations.
The Procurement Strategy, endorsed by the Executive Group, sets out the procurement direction for GSA. The strategy is subject to ongoing development and will evolve in line with sectoral, regional and national procurement initiatives. The stategy can be viewed or downloaded as a PDF here.
Procurement in GSA is decentralised to budget holders, and policy guidance, support and advice is provided centrally from a small team within the Finance Office. However, the overall remit of procurement is structured as follows:
GSA is a member of Advanced Procurement for Universities and Colleges (APUC) Ltd which is the Procurement Centre of Expertise for 60 Universities and Colleges. APUC Ltd works collaboratively with Universities and Colleges in setting up contracts on behalf of the Higher and Further Education Sectors in Scotland. GSA procures from these contracts.
The School also has access to the following:
- National Higher and Further Education Contracts
- Scottish Public Sector contracts established by Scottish Procurement
- Government Procurement Service (GPS) contracts
Where GSA requires to procure goods, services or works that are not covered by agreements set up by the above, the School complies with the following procedure:
- Procurement value not exceeding £750 - no formal requirement
- £750 - £4,999 - at least 2 written quotes
- £5,000 -£19,999 - at least 3 written quotes and approval by Finance Manager
- £20,000 -£49,999 - 3 formal tenders issued and approval by Director of Finance
- £50,000 -£99,999 - 3 formal tenders and approval by Directorate
- £100,000 - £164,175 - 3 formal tenders and approval by Business Committee
- £164,176 and above - EU tenders and approval by Business Committee
Special Terms re orders:
- The limit of £750 to be raised to £2,500 for Estates orders placed by the Estates Manager
- Finance Manager only to authorise Estates orders over £10,000 if raised by Estates Manager.
- All IT purchases (hardware, software and related services) to be countersigned by the Head of IT.
Public Contracts Scotland Advertising Portal (PCS)
GSA advertises tenders above £20,000 through the Public Contracts Scotland Advertising Portal http://www.publiccontractsscotland.gov.uk/. The Advertising Portal can also used for smaller value tenders and/or quick quotes. Suppliers are required to complete a brief self-registration process through the Portal.
GSA’s Contracts Register can be found on the APUC website at the following address; http://www.apuc-scot.ac.uk/#!/institution?inst=48
GSA has implemented the Scottish Government's Pecos System for electronically procuring goods and services. The service allows routine purchases to be processed electronically from requisition to payment. GSA is working to develop more suppliers onto the system as part of the ongoing implementation of the Pecos System.
Sustainable Procurement is defined as 'a process whereby organisations meet their needs for goods, services, works and utilities in a way that achieves value for money on a whole life basis and generates benefits not only to the organisation, but also to society, the economy and the environment'.
Endorsed by the Director, GSA is committed to achieving sustainable procurement by:
- Having a dedicated Senior Management Champion responsible for delivering a plan for sustainable procurement for GSA linked to the achievement levels as set out in the Flexible Framework
- Committing to the Suppliers' Charter
- Considering the whole life cost of goods and services procured
- Considering the environmental and social impact of goods and services in the tender process
Communicating and promoting sustainability to all employees and ensuring that consideration of sustainability issues is included in the tender process.
Head of Procurement
Head of Procurement
Sarah Leitch +44(0) 141 566 1189 firstname.lastname@example.org
Alistair Storey +44 141 353 4502 A.Storey@gsa.ac.uk
For general enquiries and supplier eEnablement:
Gillian Hunter + 44(0) 141 353 4507 G.Hunter@gsa.ac.uk
For PECOS System Admin:
Kim Garcia +44 (0) 141 353 4503 K.Garcia@gsa.ac.uk