Name:

Emeritus Professor Andy MacMillan OBE

Job Title:

Architect, Honorary Vice-President of GSA

Department:

Honorary Graduates

Image:

Notre Dame College
by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia

Notre Dame College

Profile
>

Emeritus Professor Andy MacMillan

Andrew MacMillan was Professor of Architecture at the University of Glasgow and Head of the Mackintosh School of Architecture, 1973 to 1994. Professor MacMillan studied at Glasgow School of Art while working for Glasgow Corporation's Housing Department and the East Kilbride New Town Development Corporation during the 1950s. He joined the architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia in 1954 and became a partner in 1966. He continued to work as a consultant architect after leaving the firm in 1988. Among many awards, Professor MacMillan has won the RIBA Award for Architecture on four occasions and the Royal Scottish Academy Gold Medal in 1975. He has been a member of several public bodies, including the Scottish Arts Council, 1978 to 1982, and he was awarded the OBE in 1992.

We were saddened to hear the news that Andy had passed away on 16 August 2014. Andy’s association with the GSA spanned more than seven decades from student to Head of the Mackintosh School of Architecture and latterly as Emeritus Professor. He was one of the greats of post-war British architecture and his legacy is visible not only in his buildings but in the lives and work of generations of architects whom he taught, challenged and enthused. He was a generous, inspirational man and everyone who met him came away better for having done so. We will miss him greatly and our thoughts are with Angela and the family at this very sad time.