Tier 4 Student Visa Requirements >

Students from outside of the EEA planning to study at GSA for more than 6 months will need to apply for a Tier 4 General Student Visa.

Full details of how to apply for your visa can be found on the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) section of the UK Government website: 


The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provide helpful guidance on their website:


For assistance with making your UK visa application, please contact welfare@gsa.ac.uk. Please check this page regularly for updates.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Cards

UK Visas and Immigration have introduced BRP cards for all new Tier 4 sponsored students who commence their studies in academic session 2015-16 or have extended their existing leave to remain in the UK. 

It is important that students who have been issued a BRP card collect them from the designated Post Office within 10 working days. The collection Post Office will be indicated on a letter from UK Visas and Immigration. Also, the BRP card should be collected prior to enrolling at GSA, if available to do so.

Police Registration

Students from certain countries are required to register with the Police as part of the immigration conditions attached to their UK Tier 4 General Student Visa.  Once registered students must update the police if they change address, transfer to another university, receive a new visa or passport, or get married.

Full details can be found in the following leaflet:

International Students - Police Registration



ETS English Language Tests

As a result of the UK Government's decsion to not renew the licence of the English language test provider ETS, applicants should be aware that TOEFL and TOEIC English language tests taken on or after 17 April 2014 will not be accepted by UK Visa and Immigration.

Academic Progression

On 4 July 2011 the UK Home Office introduced a new condition which requires all Tier 4 sponsors to assess, when a student has completed a previous course in the UK, that the new course represents 'academic progression' before a CAS can be issued.

To show academic progression the new course should normally be above the level of the previous course for which UK Visas and Immigration gave a student permission to stay in the UK under the Tier 4 General Student or Student visa categories.   For example, if a student's previous course was a Bachelor's degree (undergraduate) we would expect their next course to be a Postgraduate such as a Diploma, Masters or PhD.

If you intend to accept an offer of a place to study at The Glasgow School of Art you must advise us if you have ever been granted a Student Visa to enable you to study in the UK.

You must also advise us if you are granted a visa to study in the UK prior to commencing your main programme of study i.e. Pre-sessional English.

Please send details of your previous course(s) of study and copies of your previous study visa to admissions@gsa.ac.uk.

For students on graduate research degree programmes

UKVI students (students who are studying at the Glasgow School of Art (GSA) and who have a Tier 4 General Student Visa, sponsored by GSA, must physically attend fortnightly for a meeting with your Director of Studies (DOS) or Primary Supervisor. Your DOS will contact you to arrange these meetings.

The sign-in period is within the first week of the fortnightly period. Your DOS will send confirmation to Kevin Reynolds or Frances Kennedy that the meeting has taken place.

Extended field trips for academic purposes are acceptable under Tier 4 visa rules and should be recorded as an authorised absence. However, fortnightly contact is required to be maintained and recorded throughout the period via email or video calls (Skype).

If you require any further information please email Kevin Reynolds k.reynolds@gsa.ac.uk