UK Healthcare entitlement advice


Healthcare >

Healthcare Entitlement when Studying in the UK

NHS Doctor

UK and EU/EEA students studying in Scotland are entitled to full access to the National Health Service (the NHS). Erasmus/EEA & Swiss students should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which allows use of the NHS. Please note that if you are staying in Scotland for less than 3 months you should register as a Temporary Resident (TR).

All non-EEA students coming to the UK for more than 6 months are now required to pay a health surcharge to ensure access to the National Health Service (NHS) on the same terms as a permanent UK resident. The surcharge for students is £300 per year, and is payable in full at the time of visa application. Non-EEA students coming to the UK for less than 6 months should obtain private health insurance.

All RUK, EU/EEA and International students should also register with a GP.  Students from Scotland must also register with a local doctor if they are living away from home.

Many GSA students register online with Woodside Health & Care Centre:

Dr Leslie, Ojo & Chetty - Woodside Health & Care Centre
891 Garscube Road
G20 7ER

Tel: 0141 201 5560

Further information on the practice and the services offered are available from the Practice website

If you live outside the catchment area for Woodside Health & Care Centre, you can find a local GP/doctor by visiting

Although most NHS treatment is free, there are some charges for dental treatment, prescriptions, sight tests etc. As a student you are entitled to help with these costs, but you must fill in a HC1 form, available from your doctor/dentist.

The following websites provide more information on how to access the national health Service: 

If you feel ill or you are concerned about someone else you shouldn't hesitate to get medical help.

Doctor's Appointments 

To book an appointment with a doctor, call your GP surgery or visit their website. You may be able to get an appointment on the same day if required, or you may be offered an appointment on an alternative day.

For Out of Hours attention and Emergencies contact NHS 24 - Tel. 111

NHS 24 is a national telephone based service offering assistance with general health advice, 24 hours a day.

In the event of an emergency dial 999 and request an ambulance.