If you have any further questions about Council Tax exemption, please contact Student Records. You can get in touch by e-mailing registry@gsa.ac.uk, calling 0141 353 4512 or by visiting the Registry Office in person. We are located in Room RS212 on Level 2 of 6 Rose Street (beside the GFT) and are open from 9.00am - 5.00pm.

Council Tax Exemption >

Council Tax is set by local authorities to help pay for services that they provide.  It is based on the value of the house, flat or dwelling in which you live.  Further information has been provided by the Glasgow City Council Tax office and you can view this here.

The Glasgow School of Art provide certification for council tax exemption for students on full time courses leading to an eligible qualification. A full time course is one which requires study for more than 21 hours per week for at least 24 weeks in each academic year.  Eligibility categories are based on Glasgow City Council and local authority exemption criteria.

For students on the last year of your course, please note that full time student status normally finishes once you have graduated . You can see the dates of the academic year here. Your full time status does not extend to your graduation or re-sit diet if you need to re-sit exams. If you are continuing on the same course after the summer, your status will normally cover you over the summer period.

For information on the Council Tax for students who live in Glasgow City Council please click here to visit the Council Tax section of their website. 

More information for international students is available from UKCISA (Council tax and international students).

Please note that exemption from Council Tax is not awarded automatically and you MUST complete the following process if you wish to be exempt:

How to apply

  1. If you live within Glasgow City Council then you must complete the Online Exemption Form.  This can be found at the Glasgow City Council web page.  If you reside in a difference council area please contact your local council for an exemption form.  This can be signed and stamped by the Registry office when you commence your programme.
  2. If you live within Glasgow City Council's area, when completing online registration for your programme at GSA, you will be asked if you allow your consent for your details to be passed electronically to Glasgow City Council for Council Tax purposes.  If you agree to this then we will automatically confirm your student status directly to the Council in September.  Again, if you live in another council's area, please complete the appropriate exemption form and bring it to Registry to confirm exemption. 
  3. Send this form back to the Council office (this is not necessary if you have completed the online form). If you are sharing with other students, it's best to complete all forms together for faster processing.
  4. If you move to a new flat or house, you must notify Registry of your new address and let the council know. We will confirm your status directly to Glasgow City Council if you move into their area. If you move to an area not covered by Glasgow City Council, please contact Registry for further advice.

If you experience any problems or issues with your Council Tax please visit the Registry office on Level 2, Room 212, 6 Rose Street.