Reid Building, The Glasgow School of Art

Reid Building, The Glasgow School of Art

Advice for current EU students >

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are already studying at GSA, you should apply (along with any family members) for pre-settled orsettled status. To do this, you apply to the UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) is designed to offer EU, EEA and Swiss nationals (as well as their family members) living in the UK the opportunity to protect and maintain their status in the UK. If you are resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, and wish to continue to live and work in the UK after this date, you will need to apply under the EUSS

The EUSS grants applicants ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled-status’, depending on how long you have lived in the UK. If you can demonstrate that you have been living in the UK continuously for five years, you will be able to apply for ‘settled’ status. If you have been living in the UK for less than five years, you will be granted ‘pre-settled’ status and will be able to update this to ‘settled’ status when you have been continuously resident for five years.

The deadline for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021. It is recommended that you apply as soon as possible and confirm your pre-settled or settled status prior to travelling outside of the UK.

To apply for the EUSS you must be, or have been in the United Kingdom before 11pm on the 31 December 2020. There is no stated minimum period of time in the UK. You can submit an application to the EUSS from outside the UK, if you have been resident in the UK during the previous 6 months. If you are not eligible to apply to the EUSS you may be required to apply for a Student Visa in order to travel to the UK after 31 December 2020.

Student Visa Route

EU, EEA and Swiss students who plan to enter the UK to continue their studies after 1 January 2021 and who have not been granted pre-settled or settled status, should apply for entry clearance/immigration permission before travelling to the UK.

This is a points-based system, known as the Student Route. It is open for applications now.

The student route is only open for those students who will be coming to the UK after the 1 January 2021. If you plan to arrive in the UK before this date (or have already spent time in the UK), you should apply via the EUSS.

Students from the Republic of Ireland 

The UK and Republic of Ireland Common Travel Area will continue after Brexit. Irish nationals will continue to be able to live, work and study in the UK without the need for immigration permission. Irish nationals who have been resident in the UK can choose to apply to the EUSS if they wish to obtain official confirmation of settled status and indefinite right to live and work in the UK. GSA recommends our Irish students to apply to the EUSS if they have been resident in the UK prior to 1 January 2021.

Fee Status and Funding

The Scottish Government has taken the decision to end free university tuition for EU students starting in 2021-22.

Current EU students who started their studies at GSA in September 2020 or earlier will continue to be granted home fee status and be eligible to apply for tuition fee support from SAAS for the duration of their current programme. 

Student Support

The GSA is committed to supporting our students in continuing their studies in Glasgow. 

Current students who have a query regarding their status or require immigration advice and support can contact the GSA Registry at, or the GSA Student Welfare Service at